Northern Health promotes teamwork and a sense of community in the workplace. In keeping with this vision, weeks can sometimes get busy with team meetings, events or gatherings. Often, these occur over the lunch hour – a time that tends to fit best into everyone’s busy schedules.
Because this means that we are often eating lunch with our coworkers, workplace potlucks are a popular choice for meetings and gatherings. These situations can, however, sometimes make healthy eating a challenge!
Here are some tips to ensure your next workplace potluck is a healthy workplace potluck!
- Skip the sweets and desserts at events. Enjoy fresh fruit instead!
- Follow the plate method and aim to fill half your plate with vegetables.
- Have a sign-up sheet for potlucks with spots to fill under the four food groups. This makes sure there will always be balanced options!
- Make sure to bring something healthy and tasty that you know you like – that way you can be sure of at least one healthy choice!
Try preparing some Mexican Quinoa Bites for a quick and easy potluck item!
Mexican Quinoa Bites
Recipe from The Lean Green Bean
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup black beans, cooked
- ¼ cup avocado, smashed
- 1 egg
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ cup corn kernels, cooked
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup ground pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or breadcrumbs
- ½ cup low-fat Mexican shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Rinse quinoa and cook according to package directions. Let cool slightly.
- Combine beans, avocado, peppers, corn and onion in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add spices and stir to combine.
- Add cooked quinoa, egg, ground pepitas, and cheese. Mix well.
- Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray and spoon in quinoa mixture.
- Bake at 375 F for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Gently remove from pan. Serve with salsa.
About Rilla Reardon
Rilla is a Registered Dietitian working for Northern Health since 2013. Rilla moved to northern BC from the east coast to continue developing her skills as a dietitian in a clinical setting while enjoying all that the north has to offer. Outside of work, she can be found experimenting in the kitchen or navigating the trails around Prince George with her dog, Henry. Rilla channels her passion for nutrition into practice, inspiring others to nourish their bodies, minds and souls with delicious and healthy food!