This long weekend, you may be going to a celebration in the park or camping (like I am!), but no matter what you are doing, you will likely be spending some quality time with friends and family. These events often revolve around food.
Are you are looking for a versatile and easy salad to include in your menu? Look no further than the broccoli salad!
Broccoli salads come in a variety of types and flavours. Maybe you have a favourite? To get you started this long weekend, I’ve included a recipe for you below. However, I’ve tweaked this recipe slightly. The original recipe called for ½ lb of bacon; that’s a lot of bacon! So, in the recipe below, I’ve cut that back. Recipes like this one allow you to get creative! Don’t have green onions? Fine, skip them (I did). Have extra cherry tomatoes in the fridge? Add them in! Don’t be afraid to experiment, that’s half the fun in cooking!
- 2 bunches of broccoli
- 2 cups of grapes, cut into halves
- 5 slices of cooked bacon
- ½ cup celery
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 cup salad dressing
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Chop the broccoli into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice the celery into small pieces.
- Crumble or slice the bacon.
- Combine the broccoli, celery, grapes, onion and bacon in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the salad dressing, sugar, and vinegar together well.
- Pour the dressing on the salad and mix well. Refrigerate until serving.
About Rebecca Larson
Rebecca works in Vanderhoof and the surrounding communities as a dietitian. She was born in the north and returned after her schooling. Rebecca loves tobogganing with her daughter in the winter, gardening and camping in the summer and working on her parents cattle ranch in her spare time.